Monday 13 February 2012

Compound Statements

Previously we have discussed about math equation solver and Today I am going to discuss about the compound statements in discreet math( you can also try compound interest calculator) which is a part of maharashtra secondary and higher secondary education board. Compound Statements in mathematics is very interesting and easy to learn. As we know that compound means combining two or more parts as to form a mix, so here we will learn to make the compound statements and how to solve compound statements. To compose a compound statement there are various ways. For this we have many connectors such AND, OR, IF….THEN, NOT etc.

Instead of using a simple statement again and again we use a single letter which represent whole thing. For example: (want to Learn more about Compound Statements, click here),

Statement: “I have money.”
A : “I have money”.
 We can replace this statement by ‘A’. So we don’t need to use this statement again and again, instead of this we simply use ‘A’.

To construct Compound statements we use following connectors:
1.     NOT: This is known as negation. Example: "I am not busy" we can replace it with:
2.     AND: This is called conjunction.
 Example: Here A : “I am going to market”.
                                   B: “I am going to park”.
                       A>B: “I am going to market AND park”.
3.     OR: This is called disjunction.
Example: Here A: I will go to the market.
                        B: Amit will go to the park.
                        AVB: I will go to the market OR amit will go to the park.
4.     IF…. THEN: This is called Conditional.
Example: Here A: I want to buy cloths.
                                    B:I will go to the market.
A->B: If I want to buy cloths then I will goto market.
Now to understand the basic concepts let us take an example:
Given: p is true, q is false and r is true.
Now to determine truth value of this compound statement (
q ) ->r.
P q r
q      (
q)->r
T F T F F T
We construct a truth table for the given statement to determine truth value.
So here I explained about the Compound Statements and how to solve compound statements, next I will tell you about Bi Conditional Statements and if anyone want to know about Steps of Solving equations with decimals then they can refer to Internet and text books for understanding it more precisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment